The Rifts III conference at the Geol Soc London in March 2016 has opened for registration. We’ve managed to put together a world-class programme for 3 exciting days of rift and rifted passive margin-related academic and industry research.
The objective of this conference series is to challenge the current understanding of rifts, rifted passive margins and their evolution given ever-improving seismic and remotely-sensed data, computational modelling and integration capabilities, new insights from field analogues, contrasting and contradicting scientific concepts as well as recent results from scientific and industry drilling campaigns.
The by-invitation-only technical program covers about 60 contributions from leading academic and industry authors over 3 days, ranging in scale from plates to reservoir, in a healthy mix of cutting edge observational and modelling studies. The keynote presentations will given by:
- Gianreto Manatschal (U Strasbourg, FR): Controls on structural and magmatic variability along rifted margins: From observations to interpretations
- Cynthia Ebinger (U Rochester, US): Strain accommodation by faulting and magmatism during rift initiation
- Ritske Huismans (U Bergen, NO): Linking lithosphere deformation and sedimentary basin formation over multiple scales
- Sascha Brune (GFZ Potsdam, DE): Numerical modelling of rift dynamics: Linking observations on fault, basin and global scale
- Nicky White (Cambridge, UK): Deep-Water Margins, Dynamic Topography and Sequence Stratigraphy
- Hans-Christian Rønnevik (Lundin AS, NO): Exploration of mature areas on the Norwegian Continental Shelf since 2000
For more details on the conference and the provisional programme, please visit the Geol Soc website: http://www.geolsoc.org.uk/PG-Rifts-III, individual abstracts are available at: http://r3.basinatlas.org.